Anyone who has ever been camping in the bear homeland knows that precautions are essential to prevent coming up against animals. At any moment you check-in at a campground, you oftentimes receive instructions about how to protect food to make sure bears are not drawn. Meals storage lockboxes are oftentimes the best form to keep meals at a campground while hikers, as well as backpackers, can employ bear canisters. Yet, will perfume attract animals when camping? Read on to discover more!
Even though there are many ways to hold food out of the reach of bears, you may not comprehend which foods and perfumes draw bears the most. Some meals and fragrances will have a much stronger impact on bears than others. While most human nutrition can attract a bear, specific foods are more enticing and will be influential to attract bears to your campsite. Now, what about the fragrances? Let’s find out more below!
While cooking over a campfire is affixed to radiate some scents, you can avoid others. Deodorants, scented soaps, lotions, and perfumes are all going to provoke the attention of your unwanted visitors such as bears. Pack your toiletries in folded plastic sacks or airtight cans.
Most Tempting Foods to Animals
Quite similar to humans bears count on their sense of smell to know that meals are in the space nearby. They might not be capable to see you cooking or off-loading foods, but they can sense scents from far away and be drawn to come to your campsite to get a closer glimpse.
Even though some favorite human meals might not have a powerful smell, the ones that will lure bears are oftentimes those with a powerful fragrance. The overbearing smell of food will reach a bear’s nose and they might be excited to seek it out. Read on to discover some of the most appetizing-smelling meals for a bear.
- Bacon. Most individuals uncover the smell of bacon frying to be intoxicating and bears are the same. It may be alluring to fry some bacon up on your campfire in the dawning, yet the smell can saturate an extensive space and remain for a long time.
- Sweets. The tale about bears worshiping sweet things is there for a reason. All types of aromatic sweets like pies and donuts are a surefire method to draw a bear. Maple syrup is likewise a robust taste that will get a bear’s attention. Anything sugary, mostly brown sugar, should sit in a canister to deter bears.
- Fruits. In the wild, most bears love to scour for berries and other sweet, high-calorie foodstuffs. Besides, holding sweet fruits at your campsite will boost the odds of a bear stopping by to dwell. Fruits such as strawberries, jeers, apples, oranges, mango, grapes, peaches, and more will surely draw bears.
- Grease. The petroleum that leaks from the grill when you barbecue and cook meat is powerful-smelling and appealing to bears. Many hunters will employ grease to apply near pitfalls to draw bears into the location so they can capture them or kill them.
There Is More to This
- Licorice. For some unknown cause, the scent of licorice appears to be especially attractive for bears. Sweets or licorice bars that produce the scent could lure bears, but other identical scents work too. Anise oil is a powerful scent that hunters occasionally employ to lure bears.
- Vanilla. The scent of vanilla extract is yet one more scent that is good to draw bears. Even though it’s doubtful you will be baking or utilizing pure vanilla while on your camping trip, it’s good to be mindful of scents that may be a pull to bears. This holds utilizing it in items like perfume, lotion, soaps, or body wash.
- Fish. Someone who works in an office understands that fish is one of the talks best quit at home. That’s because when you cook it or reheat it, it has a very powerful smell. Also, cooking refreshed fish on your campfire could draw a bear. They could also sense the smell when cleansing or eviscerating the fish. Tinned canisters of tuna are also very aromatic and would presumably attract bears.
- Raw Meat. Whether you carry steaks, burgers, or chicken to barbecue when going camping, keep it hidden and secure so the smell won’t drift away from your camp. Bears will sense the scent of meat which may remind them of animal remains that, in their reason, are adequate forms of food.
- Peanut Butter. With its unique aroma, peanut butter is one of those foodstuffs which pleads to a wide assortment of animals. Bears are no oddity because they manage to like nuts which are widespread camping or hiking nutrition when in trail blend.
- Fermented Foods. While it’s indefinite whether bears would frankly ingest fermented foods, the intense smell they give off would likely be sufficient to make them interested enough to learn more. Nutrition like sauerkraut and kimchi, specifically, has such an overbearing scent and should stay at home when going camping.
- Onions. Cooking onions and garlic is a surefire method to obtain a full food odor in the air. When cooking up these fares at home, the kitchen begins to smell quite appetizing and tempting. Visualize how a bear would judge to have such aromas floating in the aura away from your canvas camping tent.
- Takeout Meals. Many tasty takeout meals are so mouth-wateringly appetizing because of the vigorous scents they emit. Specific foods such as Indian curries, Mexican dishes, and Chinese entrees are the most sinister lawbreakers. They taste great but the scents are enough to push a bear to want to treat itself.
- Cheese. Many types of cheese have a very powerful scent that is pleasing to animals. Even though some are not as powerful as the notorious Limburger cheese, even the softest ones can be seen by a bear’s sharp nose. Cheesy meals such as grilled cheese or pizza may also draw a bear to your camping site.
- Coffee. Mint coffee is an aroma that many people treasure, even those who aren’t coffee addicts. It has an extremely powerful, rich aroma and could certainly draw bears. Even though it might not be lifelike to be anticipated to give up coffee when camping, you can take measures to keep the smell to a minimum.
Non-Food Scents That Attract Animals
Lowering food scents and appropriately storing food is the preliminary way to stop bears from coming to your camp and getting adapted to humans. Nonetheless, there are other smells that could attract bears that have nothing to do with food. Yes, perfumes can attract bears as well. So, be mindful whether you wish to bring your refreshed Bleu de Chanel bottle of fragrance! This goes without saying!
Bears can get inquisitive about new and unusual scents that they want to comprehend more about. Even though a smell might not imply a food source, they won’t be sure of that until they analyze it for themselves. Here is a short checklist of some personal care items that could potentially attract bears and other animals:
- Perfume or fragrance
- Shaving lotion
- Hand sanitizer
Whether you carry any of these things along with you, make certain to pack them in a backpack when they aren’t in usage. Never keep them in the tent even when it isn’t in usage. Only take out the things you require when going to the restroom to employ them and put them away instantly after usage.
Laundry detergent and dryer sheets can hold powerful scents that might draw a bear to your clothes. You should invariably sleep in a neat pair of apparel that is distinct from the ones you prepped your food in. By doing this, you ensure that there are no scents remaining to lure a bear at night.
More Tips to Hamper Animals
Make sure your trash disposal practice is on point. Never burn junk as campfires infrequently are hot sufficiently to suitably burn up food. Rather, place your garbage into an airtight pouch and dispose of it straight away.
When it comes to leftovers, dispose of them! Don’t bury them. Rather, throw them away or keep them in an airtight can before positioning them in a food repository locker or closed vehicle. Don’t depart food posing out even if you intend to consume it later on. This is the unwritten rule!
Last but not least, just keep your campsite clean! While garbage removal is significant, so is maintaining a clean campsite. This means cleansing your grill or barbecue after you employ it and cleansing any crumbs or foodstuffs debris. Wash cookware, dining spoons, bowls, and mugs straight away and keep them securely. Make sure to wash up instantly after consuming so odors do not linger nearby.